The Lifestlye Blog of "HaM"
If you missed Part 1 of this post, you can read it here.
Starting from where we left off last time, I had finished building the chandelier and wiring the entire thing.
Now, I needed to test that it was indeed working and that I didn’t screw up the wiring since it was my first time. My dad was over to visit my children and he tested out the chandelier for me one bulb at a time and I held my breath while he was doing it! All 5 lit up and it worked! I was a little shocked that to test the lights, you literally stick thewires directly into a socket!
My dad was supposed to come over on another day and help me install the chandelier, but he has been sick so we have been putting it off. Luckily, my best friend’s husband is in town and is totally a handyman. With the lure of homemade spaghetti and some good old company with my husband, he agreed to help me. Initially when he climbed up into the attic, we were shocked that we did NOT find an opening over to my master bedroom. Many curse words later, I called my dad to ask him how he said it was possible. We had completely overlooked a tiny TINY hole in the attic that led over to the master bedroom from the loft. It seemed humanely impossible to climb across the hole with the insulation there on only studs. I felt like 007 trying to accomplish a near impossible task. I also felt like Anne Frank in the attic crouched for over an hour. It was definitely challenging and my arms and legs still hurt from being crouched in there for so long. The picture below shows the hole I climbed through. Yes, it’s that ridiculous.
Next, we created a hole in the ceiling where I wanted the chandelier to be. Next, we stuffed a rod all the way up as far as could it so we could push the insulation out of the way and we would be able to find it once we climbed back into the attic.
The hole luckily was right near the electrical wire that we would eventually use and it was near the cross beams in the ceiling where we nailed a 2×6 and tied the chandelier to.
It was quite difficult to figure out which wire connected to the switch and which did not but after 30 minutes of turning off the main electrical many times, we were able to figure it out and correctly wire the chandelier to the switch.
Tada~~!!! It looks fabulous and really has made me happy every time I walk in the room! It is a LOT brighter than I had imagined and I bought 60 watt light bulbs. I am definitely going to change my switch to a dimmer switch when I get the chance and it will give me more options to lower the lights in the bedroom.
Now that it’s up, I have to finish the rest of the room! I have knobs coming for the dressers, I need to buy a new rug, and I just sold my wing back chair and am hunting for a new one! My bedroom is my sanctuary and I am so happy it is all coming together.
The pictures look like the chandelier is not centered in my room but it is. My room is not a rectangle due to the master closet and there is no place to take a picture straight on so I had to take pictures from the side. The pictures do not do the chandelier justice but it’s the best I could do. I will try to do a panaramic shot once the entire bedroom is completed.